Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Holiest of Holies

Today is the holiest day of the Christian calendar.

I sat this morning watching Timmeh's program, Meet the Press, and got really angry at the Catholic priest he had on. I hope this man rots in Hell.

On the other hand, I had the chance to really listen to Joel Osteen for the first time ever. While I disagree with much of what he said, I find myself drawn to much of his message: Religion should be about reinforcing the good in people, and not shaming them.

See, the one thing that drove me from my religion (but not my faith) was the shame I felt walking out of church. I was, am, a good Christian. I believe that God wants us to be nice to people. Whether you believe in the Resurrection or not, that simple fact of life, that we're all in this together, and it's silly for us to shun people because of orientation or gender or race, or even national origin, is the most important thing that Christ teaches us. We all got to this point in life by surviving and that ought to be celebrated, not denigrated.

May God bless you all, my readers. May we together solve the problems and challenges that face us.