Thursday, May 05, 2011

On The One Hand...

 
Y'know, I'm not sure how I feel about President Obama's decision not to release the photos of Osama bin Laden taken after the raid.
 
On the one hand, Part of me wants my bloodlust fulfilled. I want to see the pictures so I can be sure that it was him. I want the pictures released because I want to mitigate the conspiracy theorists to the smallest possible number. I want the photos released because we documented Saddam Hussein's execution in such detail, and bin Laden ought to be at least as important.
 
On the other hand, maybe we ought to be above that. Maybe we ought to try to patch our trust of the people we elect, at least a little. This isn't Abu Ghraib, after all. We know what happened. Desanitizing it might only prove to desensitize us to war and casualties. Maybe it would inflame the Arab street, the same way burning a Quran or drawing caricatures of Muhammad did.
 
Since I'm of two minds, I want to trust the man I voted for to do what he feels is the right thing.