Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Trust Everyone, But Cut The Cards

 
I'm not much for flights of fantasy, except in a literal sense of fiction. I don't believe aliens have landed on our planet (or if they have, they have better things to do than to have sex with our women.) I don't buy into vampires or werewolves or zombies. I don't believe in astrology or most psychic powers (I do believe there's a scientific explanation for the latter but that's a different column.) I do believe there's a trilogy of books to be written about those, however.
 
The one mythology I do hold hopes could be proven real is "Bigfoot". His existence seems one step closer to reality.
 
Past DNA evidence has proven to be from bears or non-humanoid primates so I'm not getting my hopes too high.
 
But there's something comforting that, in a day and age when humans have encroached, demolished and paved over wilderness habitats all around the globe, an intelligent creature has managed to avoid detetction beyond the occasional "stumble on" finding. If Bigfoot can find privacy, my thinking goes, then maybe there's hope for you and I to carve out a sanctuary.
 
It is a tantalizing mythology, to say the least.
 
(go ahead, I know the comment you want to leave, so please do)