1) A meteorite cracked and landed about a thousand miles east of Moscow this morning, injuring 400, mostly from breaking glass due to the noise. No word yet whether Sarah Palin could see it from her house.
2) In fairness to Carnival, you could probably write the same headline about every cruise that's ever sailed. But just to add insult to injury...
3) This could be the saddest story of the week: Pistorius fought so hard to be allowed to compete in the Olympics with his prosthetic legs, and it turns out his compulsions had a far darker side.
4) Asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass the closest of any known asteroid of this size (500,000,000 pounds) this afternoon around 2PM EST. At about 17,000 miles from the surface, it will be closer to the ground that most of the near-earth satellites humans have launched. Between this and the Russian meteorite, is there some sort of message God is sending us?
5) Frank Lautenberg has announced he will not seek re-election in 2014, paving the way for Newark Mayor Corey Booker to run without much opposition for the seat. Lautenberg is the last World War II veteran to serve in Congress, and if Ted Kennedy was the last liberal lion, then Lautenberg was the last liberal panther: he was stealthy, staying below the radar for the most part, but working hard for progressive causes.
6) One Billion Rising seems to have been a huge success, particularly in the nations where it was desperately needed.
7) Note to men (and women): Always wrap that sucker.
8) Our prescription drug habit not only makes us a country of addled-pated morons, it makes our fish stupid, too.
9) God, I love me some Elizabeth Warren!
10) Beef. The other white meat. Wait. What?