Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I Chime In

I wanted to copy Amanda Marcotte of Pandagon on this after reading some of the "Christian" comments at her (now DoSsed) blog, but I can't find her email. If someone who has it would be so kind as to email me with it, or bring this to her attention...you may recall she was one of the bloggers that John Edwards hired for his campaign and then cowardly fired in response to William Donohue's original complaints and then confusedly rehired, only to see Amanda resign a few days later.

I wrote to Bill Donohue (know your enemy, folks!)of the Catholic League earlier today regarding his kick in Amanda's teeth.

For the record, Amanda questions a critical piece of Christian dogma, the Virgin Birth.

Mr Donohue,

As a liberal, Protestant and ordained minister, I have to take deep offense at your laying claim to Our Blessed Mother.

Amanda Marcotte's most recent comments, while perhaps hyperbolic and overstated, fall squarely in the purview of not only her First Amendment rights as an American, but also within the rights of any Christian to question the dogma of ANY church, Catholic or Protestant.

You need to back off and stop speaking for "all Christians," sir. You do NOT speak for me. I, too, question Jesus' parthenogenesis. If I don't, how can I answer my flock's questions?

You should too, sir, but instead, you would beat this woman about the head with a stick.

I may be wrong, but I believe Jesus might not like that very much.
There's a grander irony in that Donohue isn't paying attention to the right wing dogma. Evangelicals, of which I count myself as this is the church I was raised in, have this....thing....about Catholics.

See, we're taught, in hushed whispers and lowered tones, that...the Anti-Christ...now listen closely children, the Anti-Christ is the...Pope!

This was the defining moment for me, that my church would make such a ludicrous claim, but they managed to make a case for it, twisting some evidence, contorting others. It was at this point that I decided organized religion, of the sort that Donohue and other low-normals preach, was not for me.

Donohue has a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng history, particularly in New York City, of hate, but god forbid you should look even the slightest bit askance at a church that has blatantly allowed pedophiles to run rampant through its ministries and to put mannon before God's work.

The Catholic League's Board of Directors should tell you all you need to know about this unGodly man:
Members of the Catholic League's board of advisers include conservative author and media analyst L. Brent Bozell III; conservative radio host and syndicated columnist Linda Chavez; right-wing pundit and author Dinesh D'Souza; former Republican presidential and senatorial candidate Alan Keyes; and National Review Washington editor Kate O'Beirne.
ALAN KEYES?!?!?!?!?!?!

UPDATE: Apparently, the IRS is reading Blogtopia Skippy)