1) The East Coast is all abuzz over hurricane Irene. It ought to be a doozy, despite the Wall street Journal's whistling past the graveyard. The gusts near the eye of the storm indicate Irene is gathering strength, and it has barely dropped below a Cat 3 hurricane as of 6AM, EDT.
See, I'm one of those fucking loons you see on the Weather Channel, who has to get out and experience the teeth of a storm firsthand. I always walk through hurricanes (I've had to work through two of them here in NYC, so it sort of became an imperative,) or blizzards or what have you. I'll likely walk in this one, too. I should be pretty safe. I mapped out a route with plenty of places to duck into if things get hairy.
What I'd really like to do is get to a beach and watch the waves...
2) Japan has been mired in a decades-long recession. The seventh prime minister in the last five years is resigning, altho he had announced when he took office he would not serve more than fifteen months. Still, it's not a good sign when a major industrial power sees this kind of instability after almost thirty years of economic woe (not to mention that little nuclear accident this year.)
3) NEWSFLASH: Republicans want to raise taxes! CONDITION: On working and middle class folks only.
4) Has a movie ever been used as a defense in a trademark lawsuit before?
5) Shine on, you crazy diamond! Finally, an engagement rock worthy of my next wife. Whomever she (or he. Like any good liberal, I'm not ruling out switchhitting) may be.
6) Does Rick Santorum know about this?
7) Mitt...where were you when George Bush was clearing brush six out of eight years?
8) Dr. Vincent Harding: "Dead men make convenient heroes. It is easier to build monuments than to build a better world." I have no problem with honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., but I suspect he'd be the first to agree with Dr. Harding. We should be fulfilling his dream, not tearing up ground.
9) Information: Republicans hate it.
10) Monster mutant fucking rat from Gambia or opposum? You decide.
See you on the other side of the storm! And to the rednecks and Teabaggers? To make fire, it helps if you bang the rocks together.