1) Thousands dead. Many more to come, perhaps. No snark today. My prayers and thoughts go out to the Japanese people.
2) The most up to date info can be found here, and while you're at it, please give.
4) Fortunately, the damage appears limited to Japan.
5) Hawaii seems to have borne the tsunami with few ill effects. Remember, it hit at three AM local time.
6) Think about this: the tsunami hit Hawaii at 8 AM EST. It will hit the west coast of the United States at 11 AM EST. That's as fast, if not faster, than an airplane.
7) Apparently, we're getting better at predicting quakes.
8) But not good enough.
9) This quake was the fifth largest in recorded history. How large is that? It moved St Louis.
10) Some pretty amazing pictures from Sendai, at the heart of the tsunami zone.