His campaign today provided a brief outline of his health care approach, including:
• Restore to the states the responsibility and resources to care for their poor, uninsured, and chronically ill.
• Give a tax deduction to those who buy their own health insurance, just like those who buy it through their employers.
• Streamline the federal regulation of healthcare.
• Reduce the influence of lawsuits on medical practice and costs.
• Make healthcare more like a consumer market and less like a government program.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like Romneycare on steriods. He's attacked the Obama plan as forcing a mandate on people to buy insurance, yet none of the above "nuances" that Romney will mention seem to really deal with this. Indeed, it sounds like the Frankenstein's monster of the old private system joined to the regulated government system, and therefore will be unwieldly and bloated, worse than Republicans charge the Obama plan is.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, not winning many people over with this, Mitt. Better rewrite it.