Monday, January 16, 2012

Last Man Out

Well, I'm guessing that, since John Huntsman couldn't even outpoll favorite son Stephen Colbert in South Carolina, he folded up his tent and endorsed Mitt Romney.
 
Curious, since Huntsman struck me as someone who was willing to go toe-to-toe with adversity. My long-time suspicion was, he was in the race for three reasons:
 
1) To set up a 2016 run.
 
2) To present a moderate alternative to the likely parade of nutcases in the GOP race, and perhaps get a lucky boost for it (after all, who really knows who shows up for primaries?)
 
3) To deflect some of the Mormon criticism from Romney.
 
Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if Romney funded Huntsman in some way for this last.
 
His book ought to be interesting. I'll wait to read it until it's in the library, however.